Often referred to by many as “liquid gold”, Argan oil is indeed one of the most precious oils that one can have. Native to Morocco, this oil is nowadays used across the globe for a variety of culinary and cosmetic applications.
Argan oil is derived from the nut present inside the fruit. For generations people have been using this oil as a dietary supplement, as well as a source of nourishment for their skin and hair. This oil is very rare as it is rich in Oleic acid (omega-9 unsaturated fatty acids) and Linoleic acid (omega-6 unsaturated fatty acids) and both of these are a blessing for acne prone skin. The best part of this oil is that the comedogenic rating is zero, which means it doesn’t clog any pores of the skin and the scalp. Another reason why Argan oil is so therapeutic is that it is rich in Vitamin E and packed with antioxidants as well.
Because of all the goodness a lot of research is going on to study more applications of Argan oil. Many cosmetic companies are also including it in their high-end anti-aging, hair and skin care products. In this article, the focus is mainly on why and how Argan oil can be used to get strong and healthy hair.
Argan Oil for hair
Argan oil is one of the healthiest oils one can use for hair care. With the presence of all the antioxidants and essential fatty acids, this oil helps in containing the moisture content in the hair and also protects the hair from sun damage. As it provides moisture to the hair, it by its own nature helps in keeping the hair smooth and shiny. It also prevents dryness which in turn doesn’t let split ends to occur. When left on the scalp after a good thorough massage it can act like an overnight booster for damaged and dry scalp.
Why is it good for my hair?
- Argan oil gets absorbed very quickly and easily. It doesn’t sit in the hair and make it heavier, which in turn prevents it from falling. This way it doesn’t attract a lot of dust and grime.
- As the comedogenic value is almost nil, it doesn't clog the hair follicles. It makes hair stronger and keeps the scalp moisturised.
- Because of the several rich nutrients present in this oil, it repairs damaged hair if applied regularly. It also helps in fighting split ends.
- With all the unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E present, it is an excellent source of nourishment for the scalp as well as for the hair.
How does Argan oil protect the scalp and improves scalp health?
- With all the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties present, Argan oil is very good for the health of the scalp.
- These properties can prevent hair loss caused by scalp conditions such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis.
How does Argan oil protect the health of my hair?
- The medium chain fatty acids present in Argan oil help prevent damage from washing with harsh chemicals present in shampoos and also from all the styling our hair is subjected to.
- Studies have shown that oils rich in fatty acids add a protective layer to the hair that improves combing force and protects the hair from breakage during heat styling.
- Regular massage of the scalp and hair with Argan oil have shown to reduce the formation of split ends, which can result in thicker, healthier looking hair.
- The antioxidant activity also helps in protecting the hair strands from the harmful rays of the sun (prolonged exposure of UV rays can damage and dry our hair).
Use of Argan oil to combat hair loss.
- The proven benefits of Argan oil in maintaining hair and scalp health definitely helps in strengthening the roots and improving the quality of the hair.
- Research has shown that Vitamin E helps in prevention of hair fall and Argan oil is one of the richest sources of Vitamin E. Regular use of pure, cold pressed Argan oil will provide all the vitamin E necessary for the reduction of hair fall.
- The powerful antioxidants and fatty acids in Argan oil help keep our hair moisturised and protects against styling damage and damage caused by free radicals. This in turn can result in less breakage and shedding.
How to use Argan oil for hair?
- Use pure, cold pressed Argan oil instead of a formulated hair oil. Take 10-12 drops of the oil and massage your scalp and hair (starting from the roots to the tips) thoroughly. Leave it overnight and wash off with a shampoo the next morning.
- One can also use Argan oil with the regular shampoo. Instead of buying a super expensive shampoo that is enriched with Argan oil (where you don't know if they actually used Argan oil or not), add 2-3 drops of Argan oil to your shampoo and wash your hair with it.
- Cold pressed Argan oil can also be used as a leave-in conditioner. After washing the hair with a shampoo, dry it a little such that there is no dripping water. Take 2 drops of the oil and run it through your hair. You don’t have to use a different conditioner after doing this.
- Pure Argan oil can be used before styling the hair. Take 1-2 drops of the oil in your palm and apply it lightly on the hair. Now style your hair as you want, the Argan oil will form a protective layer.